- I've heard that Kydex
Sheaths will scratch knives. What's the story?
- Kydex is SOFTER than steel, if the Kydex can
scratch the knife, it's not much of a knife and you're wasting good
money on a sheath for it. Kidding aside, what people see that they
think are scratches from Kydex are rub marks. This especially shows up
when the knife has a high polish finish. No matter how well I fit the
sheath, I can't control how you insert and remove the knife.
If you don't want the knife marked up, you should probably leave it in the
box since Leather or Nylon will also eventually leave some sort of
- If there is dirt or grit in ANY sheath (leather, nylon or
Kydex) you will scratch it. SharpShooter Sheath Systems sheaths have a
Clean-Out to allow you to either blow thru to remove loose stuff or
flush the sheath out to prevent this from happening. The Clean-Out on
my sheaths is 1/8" in diameter running out from the point of the blade.
Short of a small animal or child crawling in there, you can easily
clean it out.
- Why is Kydex
better than leather for a knife sheath?
- It's NOT! Leather has its place as does Kydex. For
a traditional look and feel, nothing is better than a good leather
sheath, if that's what you're looking for I have someone who does
fantastic work I can refer you to.
- Kydex however is best for hard working applications where the
knife and sheath will be wet or dirty. A SharpShooter Sheath System
will retain your knife securely and should outlast the knife since it
cannot rot or deteriorate over time.
- What colors of kydex do you have?
- Do colors cost any extra?
- Black is the price listed.
colors add $5 to the price.
- Orange adds $7 to the
- Do you do custom work?
- Almost every item done is custom or can be made as
such. The kydex is formed around each specific knife so it fits THAT
I have made other Kydex items
for things like FireSteels and Collapsible Chopsticks. These jobs are
very time consuming so I have to charge accordingly. Generally I ask
that you send the item so I can look at it and try to figure out how to
make it work before quoting a price. If we can't reach an agreeable
price, I do ask that you pay the return postage; the time involved in
engineering the sheath is on me
- Do I need to send in my knife?
- Not always. If I have the same knife on hand I can
make you a sheath using mine as a pattern. However I can't guarantee
the fit. Semi Customs and Customs do vary a bit from knife to knife and
I'll ask that you send yours, it only costs you $4.05 to send it USPS
Priority Mail and I'll be able to make the Sheath System fit perfectly.
If you want to gamble on the fit on a semi-custom and it
doesn't fit well, you'll need to send the knife and sheath back to me
at your expense, fair is fair.
MY suggestion is spend the money and send your knife.
- How about hardware such as Tek-Loks?
- Since there as many different tastes in hardware as
there are options, I don't include any mounting hardware. SharpShooter
Sheath Systems are drilled to accept the Large Tek-Lok or ClipOver ( 1
½" between holes) If you need a different spacing let me
know on the order.
- I can supply the hardware as well.
- For belt I recommend the "ClipOver" attachment which allows
you to put on and take off the sheath without removing your belt. It's
VERY secure and comfortable. This will add $7.95 to the price
- I have small and large Tek-Loks on hand at $9.95
- I also have MY NEW MOLLE Compatible attachment available.
This will fit in place of a Large Tek-Lok or ClipOver and doesn't have
any sort of nylon straps. $15 each.